About Case Western Reserve University
Case Western Reserve University is a leading national research university located in Cleveland, Ohio. Through its seven schools and college, Case Western Reserve offers top-10 programs in health law, organizational behavior and social work and top-25 programs in biomedical engineering, international law, medicine and nursing. More than 4,000 undergraduate and nearly 6,000 graduate and professional students are enrolled at CWRU, representing all 50 states and more than 90 countries.
About Course on Introduction to International Criminal Law
From the Nuremberg trial to the case against Saddam Hussein, from the prosecution of Al-Qaeda terrorists to the trial of Somali pirates – no area of law is as important to world peace and security as international criminal law. Taught by one of the world’s leading experts in the field, this course will educate students about the fundamentals of international criminal law and policy. We will explore the contours of international crimes such as genocide, war crimes, terrorism, and piracy. We will examine unique modes of international criminal liability and specialized defenses. And we will delve into the challenges of obtaining custody of the accused and maintaining control of the courtroom.
The order of class sessions will be:
(1) History: From Nuremberg to The Hague
(2) International Crimes Part 1: War Crimes, Genocide, Crimes against Humanity, and Torture
(3) International Crimes Part 2: Terrorism and Piracy
(4) Special modes of liability: command responsibility, co-perpetration, and incitement
(5) Special defenses: insanity, obedience to orders, duress, and head of state immunity
(6) Gaining custody of the accused: extradition, luring, abduction, and targeted killing
(7) Pre-Trial Issues: plea bargaining, self-representation, and exclusion of torture evidence
(8) Maintaining control of the courtroom
- Flexible deadlines- Reset deadlines in accordance to your schedule.
- Shareable Certificate- Earn a Certificate upon completion100% online
- Start instantly and learn at your own schedule.
- Approx. 13 hours to complete
Note: The online course is FREE and you can enrol anytime. However, to get a certified, there will be a nominal fee.
- ILS Law College’s Certificate Program in Advance Intellectual Property Rights: Register by Sept 20
- Online Courses Certified by Law Firms @75% Discount: Enrolments Open!
- Online Course on Introduction to International Criminal Law by Case Western Reserve University: Enrolments Open!
- Online Courses for law students
- Subject-wise Books for Law Students