About the National Institute of Social Defence
The National Institute of Social Defence was set up originally as the Central Bureau of Correctional Services in 1961, under the Ministry of Home Affairs, in pursuance of the recommendations emerging at various National Forums. In 1964, the Bureau was transferred to the then Department of Social Security.
Since 1975, the Institute was a subordinate office under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. The National Institute of Social Defence has become an Autonomous Body vide Government of India Notification No. 10-3/2000-SD. Vol. II, dated July 15, 2002, and is registered under the Societies Act XXI of 1860 with the Government of NCT, Delhi.
About the opportunity
The National Institute of Social Defence (NISD) Internship Scheme seeks to hire interns from recognised universities/institutions in India who are pursuing Graduate/Post Graduate Degrees or are Research Scholars. Interns will be exposed to various Divisions within NISD.
About the Internship Scheme’s Goal
Allowing young academic talent to be involved in the work of the NISD for mutual benefit. The ‘Interns’ will have the opportunity to learn about the functions of the various Divisions of the NISD, as well as their programmes and policies, among other things. To give Authority officers the opportunity to interact with young thinking minds from reputable institutions, as ideas from budding scholars will be useful for policy and planning in the future. To provide a framework for students to enhance their educational experience and to support NISD’s work through practical work assignments.
Bonafide students pursuing/passed out Graduate/Post Graduate Degree or Research Scholars enrolled in recognized University/Institution within India from any background but preferably Social Science background i.e. Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Law, etc., of any recognized University/ Institution within India fulfilling the following conditions:
- Students must be pursuing/passed out Graduate/Post Graduate Degree or Research Scholars.
- They must have secured 50% or more cumulative marks in all the years/semesters of their graduation/post-graduation till the date of application.
- Duration: Minimum 4 weeks and maximum 3 months
- Engagement: Intern shall be present in the office hours i.e. 9.30 AM to 6 PM on all working days. For experience, If the Director desires, intern may travel for field experience.
Note: Interns will be required to have their own laptops. NISD shall provide them working space, internet facility and other necessities as deemed fit by the concerned Heads, as per the availability. However, it will not be the right of the intern to claim it.
- Interested applicants shall apply online for Internship programme.
- Applicants must clearly indicate the area of interest.
- A candidate can apply for internship only once during a financial year.
- The applicants who do not fulfil the eligibility conditions, their applications shall be rejected by the Competent Authority.
- The selected applicant has to produce a letter of recommendation from the college/institution at the time of joining, failing which his/her candidature shall be cancelled. [The format for the LoR has been provided in Annexure II of the Internship Guidelines]
- Fluency in English or Hindi is desirable for the internship.
- To apply, Click here
Selection Process and Other Modalities
- A maximum of 5 interns are taken for Internship at a time for each Division.
- The selected candidates may be asked by NISD to submit the hard copy of their Recommendation Letter (RL) from their Head of the Department/Principal by giving sufficient time before issuance of the offer letter by NISD.
- It also has to be indicated in the RL that the student would not be registered for any course requiring his/her attendance in the class during the period of internship. If any discrepancy is found, the candidature of the candidate will be cancelled by NISD.
- Interns shall be required to submit a brief report/paper at the end of their assignment to the Heads of the concerned Divisions of NISD about their learning experience.
- The intern shall not disclose any data of NISD and maintain confidentiality. Violation would be liable for legal action.
- Any publication would require prior permission from NISD.
Applications received till the 25th of each month shall be allowed for subsequent month/s internship.
- Online Internship Opportunity at Enhelion’s Student Volunteering programme: Apply by Oct 30
- Paid Internship Opportunity at Hamari Pahchan NGO [Stipend Rs 2,000-5,000]: Applications Open!
- Internship Opportunity| Human Rights Law Network: Application Open!
- Internship Opportunity with Mitali Agarwal: Apply by Nov 5
- Internship Opportunities for Law Students [195+ Internships]