About the National Law University, Delhi
National Law University, Delhi, also known as NLU Delhi is a state-level Law University which was established in 2008. Out of the 23 NLUs in the country, NLU Delhi is among the leading ones. It is recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and is also a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It is accredited with an A Grade with a score of 3.59 by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). Admissions and the course curriculum at NLU Delhi are as per the legal regulations prescribed by the Bar Council of India (BCI). The University was ranked 2 for Law by the NIRF in 2020 and 2019. It was also ranked 5 for Law by The Week in 2019.
About the Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India.
They undertake litigation, research and communications relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, mental health and the death penalty.
About the Job Opportunity
The National Law University, Delhi through Project 39A is seeking to engage, on a contractual basis, an Associate (Litigation) at its campus in Dwarka, New Delhi.
The contract will be for 1 year initially and can be extended on an annual basis at the discretion of the University.
The Associate will be responsible for working on cases being handled by Project 39A, primarily concerning prisoners sentenced to death.
Number of Vacancies
Roles and Responsibilities
- Draft criminal appeals, review petitions, writ petitions, applications, rejoinders, mercy petitions and other legal documents.
- Brief and assist senior advocates and advocates on record.
- Devise legal strategy and arguments for cases handled by Project 39A and carry out related research.
- Visit prisons across India to conduct detailed interviews with prisoners sentenced to death, their families as part of developing legal strategy in particular cases.
- Regularly communicate with prison authorities to obtain case specific information and documents.
- Present the work of Project 39A at appropriate fora.
- Contribute to the research and strategic efforts at Project 39A as and when required.
- Organise training workshops and conferences.
- Any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A
- Graduate with an LLB degree and enrolment with any State Bar Council.
- Those with full-time criminal litigation experience of two years or more at the appellate stage will be given preference.
- Ability to read/ write/ speak different Indian languages will be an advantage but is not mandatory.
- This is a full-time position based in Delhi
The compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Interested persons may send their résumé and a statement of purpose, explaining their interest in representing prisoners sentenced to death and the contribution that they see themselves making through this position.
- The statement of purpose must not exceed 500 words.
- To apply, Click here
December 3, 2021
No applications after the deadline will be accepted.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for online interviews and tests by December 10, 2021.
Interviews and tests will be held between December 13 and 17, 2021.
Dwarka, New Delhi
- Fresher Jobs| at SugarBox Networks: Applications Open!
- Work Opportunity as Digital Marketer at Spacer Lab [Salary: Rs 18K]: Applications Open!
- Fresher Jobs | Thukral Law Associates: Applications Open!
- Work Opportunity at BSNL [Salary: Rs 75,000]: Apply by Feb 9
- Freshers Job | at Cornellia Chambers: Apply by Jan 31