Amazon India is looking to hire for the job role of Corporate Counsel to support their rapidly evolving and expanding digital video and content business, in Mumbai.
About the Amazon
Amazon.com, Inc., is an American multinational technology company based in Seattle, Washington, which focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence.
It was founded by Jeff Bezos in Bellevue, Washington, on July 5, 1994. The company started as an online marketplace for books but expanded to sell electronics, software, video games, apparel, furniture, food, toys, and jewelry. Amazon is the largest Internet company by revenue in the world.
Amazon Retail operates similarly to large big box stores and is a lot like adding Amazon as a retail trading partner. Suppliers negotiate wholesale prices for their items, which Amazon then purchases, merchandises, and resells on the Amazon.com website.
- Serve as a lawyer responsible for counseling the business on a broad range of commercial, licensing, technology, and regulatory matters and structuring, drafting, and negotiating commercial transactions.
- Handle legal aspects of content acquisition, and you will be responsible for all related legal matters including evaluating rights issues, confirming chain of title and handling clearance matters, standards and practices review, promotion and publicity issues, and working with other departments like marketing, policy, etc.
- Work directly with the business, serving as counsel on strategic deals, helping launch new products and services, providing day-to-day advice, resolving issues that arise in existing commercial relationships, and handling pre-litigation legal disputes and inquiries.
- Principal duties include: Providing ongoing legal counseling in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property, digital media, acquisition of content, regulatory compliance and structuring, drafting and negotiating complicated licensing, technology, development, production, distribution, marketing, and other commercial agreements.
- The role would also require counseling businesses on relevant legal developments.
Essential Requirements for the Role
- LL.B. (undergraduate law degree) from a top tier university in India.
- A minimum of 8+ years of legal experience, with several years of experience at a leading global law firm and/or in-house at a major multinational corporation in commercial/licensing transactions and intellectual property issues.
- A high degree of independence, initiative, and decisiveness but also a desire to be challenged and think outside the box.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, as well as demonstrated proficiency in working closely with and advising senior executives of an organization.
- A team player and consensus builder with great people skills who can effectively and efficiently collaborate and build relationships with attorneys and business clients at all levels throughout the organization.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-moving environment.
- Outstanding legal and business judgment especially in ambiguous situations.
- Highest standards of ethics and professional integrity
- In-house experience in the media space with a reputed MNC in content related transactions and intellectual property issues
- Knowledge/experience in policy and regulatory issues