Paid Online Internship Opportunity at National Law University, Delhi: Apply by April 9
About National Law University, Delhi
National Law University, Delhi (NLUD) is a National Law University in India, offering courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Situated in Sector-14, Dwarka, New Delhi, India, NLUD is one of the national law schools in India built on the five-year law degree model proposed and implemented by the Bar Council of India. The National Law University Act, 2007 provides for the Chief Justice of India to be the university’s visitor, whereas the Chief Justice of the High Court of Delhi to function as the university’s chancellor. whereas its vice-chancellor functions as the chief administrator.
About Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and signals the broadening of our work on the criminal justice system in India. We undertake litigation, research and outreach relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, mental health and criminal justice, and the death penalty (for more information on Project 39A, visit www.project39a.com).
About the Opportunity
The National Law University, Delhi through Project 39A is seeking to remotely engage, on a contractual basis, interns for managing the written communications in Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi and Telugu, with prisoners represented by Project 39A, primarily those sentenced to death. The contract will be for one year initially and can be extended on an annual basis at the discretion of the University.
Area of Work
The capital defence team at Project 39A provides pro bono legal representation to prisoners on death row. For effective legal representation, it is key to regularly communicate with the clients. Project 39A also believes in keeping prisoners updated about the progress of their case and also involves family members in the preparation of the case.
This internship program is looking for interns proficient in at least one of the regional languages listed in the ‘Eligibility’ section.
The interns will study basic case materials and prior correspondence with the respective prisoners and their families. Under the supervision of Project 39A litigation and mitigation associates, interns will draft personalised letters to prisoners regularly, in their respective languages.
- The interns will study basic case materials and prior correspondence with the respective prisoners and their families. Under the supervision of Project 39A litigation and mitigation associates, interns will draft personalised letters to prisoners regularly, in their respective languages.
- To accompany the letters, the interns will identify suitable reading material in the respective regional language for each client.
- The interns will provide translations of the letters received from the clients into English language.
- Any other tasks that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A’s communication program with prisoners or any other work.
- Students of law, humanities, social sciences, social work, management or media enrolled in bachelor’s or master’s programs.
- Reading and writing proficiency in at least one of the following regional languages, along with English: Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Marathi
Duration & Place of Internship
Minimum 1-year period. The internship can be undertaken remotely.
A stipend will be provided which may vary subject to the number of letters that need to be drafted and responded to per person. Payment will be released on a quarterly basis.
Applicants must fill out the online form available below and attach the following documents as well -:
- A statement of purpose of not more than 500 words explaining your interest in this internship. The statement should clearly state the candidate’s proficiency in at least one of the regional languages mentioned in the eligibility criteria.
- Translation of the Annexure-I, an excerpt from the Deathworthy 2021 report in at least one of the regional languages listed in the eligibility criteria i.e. Marathi, Punjabi, Hindi, and Telugu. For more information, please click here.
The last date to submit the application is 9th April 2023. Shortlisted candidates will be intimated by 21st April 2023 and further rounds of assessment and interview may take place in the fourth week of April 2023. Only applicants selected for interview rounds will be informed.
To apply for the internship, click here.
Attention all law students!
Are you tired of missing out on internship, job opportunities and law notes?
Well, fear no more! With 22,000+ students already on board, you don't want to be left behind. Be a part of the coolest legal community around!
Join our WhatsApp Groups (Click Here) and Telegram Channel (Click Here) and get instant notifications.
Follow us on Instagram (Click Here) for amazing legal content.