About the Gujarat Maritime University
Gujarat Maritime University is a bespoke institution for the advancement of Maritime education and research in India. The prime objective of the University is to be a global centre of excellence in maritime education, research, and training. It aims to enhance and increase the human capital and capacity of the maritime industry both in India and across the globe.
About the International Conference on Maritime Dispute Resolution
Centre for Maritime Dispute Resolution, Gujarat Maritime University takes immense pride in announcing its First Annual International Conference on Maritime Dispute Resolution. The Conference intends to act as an intellectual and productive knowledge-sharing space for all academia, researchers, students, industrialists, and enthusiasts of Maritime Law.
About the Conference
Ships are the largest man-made moving objects on the earth. About 90% of the goods are moved using these ships. The largest moving objects, carrying almost all kinds of cargo and undertaking dangerous voyages, ships are capable of causing huge damages, financial losses, and breaching laws nationally and internationally. Under most systems of law, the person amenable to a dispute arising out of a ship is the owner and demise-charterer, which is usually a company.
The company may have been incorporated in any part of the world and having tangible assets other than the ship, which might be mortgaged. Hence, it makes adjudication of maritime legal disputes by litigation a complicated process.
Further, Arbitration is also now a usual mechanism resorted to resolve maritime disputes and is being seen as more effective and expeditious than litigation but remains dominated only by few nations and comes with its limitations.
Therefore, Gujarat Maritime University strives to bring to light various intricacies of Maritime Dispute Resolution through the International Conference on Maritime Dispute Resolution by providing a platform to researchers, scholars, academicians, professionals, and students to showcase their research.
There will be one award for the best paper under each theme carrying a cash prize of INR 10,000/- and a certificate of appreciation. In case there are more than 10 papers received under a particular theme, a second prize shall be declared for that theme. The second prize will be carrying a cash prize of INR 5000/- and a certificate of appreciation.
There shall be no registration fees.
The conference is open to academicians, students, practitioners, personnel working within the maritime sector, stakeholders of the sector, and anyone interested in the subject area.
All the presenters and participants will be provided with certificates of participation.
- Tentative Dates for the Conference: 29th and 30th October 2021
- Call for Abstracts: 15th July 2021
- Last date for Abstract submission: 31 st August 2021
- Confirmation of Acceptance: 10th September 2021
- Last date of registration: 15th October 2021
- Submission of full paper: 10th October 2021
- Submission of PowerPoint presentation (optional): 25th October 2021
- Word Limit for Abstract submission: 150-200 words.
- Abstract to be submitted via Google Form.(Please note: The abstract should be attached in word file format).
- To submit abstract, Click here
- During the submission of the abstract, the abstract should be saved by the name of the participant, Theme No. and Sub-theme. For example, ‘Harsha Dave Theme III A’Word limit for Paper: 2000-5000 words
- The Paper shall have an introduction, main body, and conclusion.
- The cover page of the research paper shall consist of the following:
- Title of the Research paper,
- Details of the author: Name, Designation, Mobile No., Email ID, Postal Address.
- The referencing style shall be Bluebook 20 th Edition.
- Formatting shall be as follows:
- Font: Times New Roman
- Line Spacing: 1.5
- Border: 1′ all sides
- Title (Cover page) : 16 font-size
- Sub titles, Theme and Sub theme (Cover page) : 14 font-size
- Text (Main content) : 12 font-size
- Footnote : 10 font-size
- Heading 1: 16 font-size (first letter of the word in Uppercase)
- Heading 2: 14 font-size (first letter of the word in capital)
- Headings 3: 12 font-size (Italics)
- Co-authorship is allowed up to two authors only.
- Formatting and grammatical errors may lead to the disqualification of the paper outrightly.
- All the papers shall be subject to the similarity index test.
Conference Patron: Prof. (Dr.) S. Shanthakumar, Director(I/C), Gujarat Maritime University & Director, Gujarat National Law University.
Conference Convenor: Mr. Waseem Ahmad Bhat, Assistant Professor, Gujarat Maritime University.
Conference Co-convenor: Ms. Vishwa Bhatt, Teaching and Research Associate, Gujarat Maritime University
For any query, please feel free to contact the organizing committee: [email protected] or call us at +917923270517 (all working days 9 AM – 5 PM).