About the NUALS
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS) was established by Act 27 of 2005 of the Kerala State Legislature. By the same Act, the National Institute for Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS) established by the Bar Council of Kerala Trust in 2002 merged with the NUALS. The Chief
Justice of India is the Visitor and the Chief Justice of Kerala, the Chancellor of NUALS.
About the CHLP
The Centre for Health Law and Policy is an interdisciplinary Centre established on 8th Aug 2014 at the National University of Advanced Legal Studies as its ninth Centre for study and research.
The director of the Centre is Dr. Liji Samuel who is an Assistant Professor of law at NUALS, Kochi. The Centre was inaugurated by the Hon’ble Minister for Education of Kerala Mr. Abdu Rabb. The Centre aims to encourage, promote and support innovative and important scholarship including teaching, research, consultancy and advocacy in areas of health care law.
About the lecture
The Centre for Health Law and Policy (CHLP) of the National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi, Kerala, is organising a Special Lecture titled “Right to Life and Right to Health of Manual Scavengers in India: Social Impact Litigation” by Advocate Abha Singh.
Date: 26th November 2021
Time: 18:00 PM
About the Speaker
The speaker is a renowned litigator who provides legal representation services to the poor and marginalised. She has regularly helped protect the rights of manual scavengers, sewage workers and other marginalized workers with respect to receiving compensation from the State as well as other measures to keep the municipal corporations accountable. The session would deal with the
constitutional and jurisprudential aspects as well as a discussion of precedents w.r.t. the above. The speaker would also dwell upon her journey as a social worker while playing the role of a litigator.
- Call for Papers | 2-Day National Webinar on Holistic Review of Women Laws by Kerala University: Submit by Jan 28
- Call for Papers| National Webinar on Safeguarding the Traditional Knowledge (TK) in India by Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University: Register by Feb 5
- Online Webinar by Centre for Constitutional Law, DNLU ‘Constitutional Amendments: Making, Breaking, and Changing Constitutions’ [Feb 7]
- FREE Online Guest Lecture on India’s Transformative Constitution: A Historical Perspective by NLU Jodhpur
- FREE Webinar by IMS Law College on Strategies for Cultural Property Protection [Jan 31]