About GNLU’s Centre for Law and Society
The GNLU Centre for Law and Society is the focal point for socio-legal research at Gujarat National Law University that facilitates interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary research, study and teaching of law and society, and law and legal institutions. The Centre encourages multidisciplinary perspectives to inform analysis and debate on socio-legal issues, thereby providing the richest and most comprehensive approach to research and policy-making.
About 5th GNLU Essay Competition
In order to encourage further research that determines how effective certain policies are in realising the goals of law the centre initiated the Annual Essay Completion on Law & Society in 2016.
The Centre hereby invites essays for the 5th edition of its essay competition organized under the able guidance of Prof. Upendra Baxi and in collaboration with reputed firms and organizations such as L&L Partners (formerly Luthra), Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI), Centre for Social Justice and Niti Manthan.
Theme for 5th GNLU Essay Competition
The theme of the competition is “Issues and Challenges during and post the Global Pandemic: Possible Reform, Strategies and Solutions”.
Evidence indicates that the likelihood of pandemics has expanded over the previous century because of increased global travel and integration, urbanization, changes in land use, and greater exploitation of the environment.
Although since 2000, in light of Avian influenza and Pig influenza, many countries devised pandemic plans, significant gaps and challenges exist in global pandemic preparedness, as evidenced from COVID-19.
Word Limit: 4500-6000 words
The following sub-themes have been identified for the essay competition:
- Economics in the time of a global pandemic
- Justice in the time of COVID-19
- Decoding the legal framework for pandemic control
- Mental Health and wellness
- The validity of use of force against violators of lockdown
- Impact and role of mass media during the pandemic
- Effectiveness of public health communication to create psychological resources for developing resilience
- Reduction of stigma, prejudice, discrimination, and inequalities
- Privacy v. Health. To what extent Privacy can be renounced?
- Shelter Homes and Safety of Children amidst the lockdown
- Need for reform in Education during lockdown
Category: Law Students
- 1st Prize: Certificate of Merit, Internship at L&L Partners (formerly Luthra), Publication in the Law & Society Review
- 2nd Prize: Certificate of Merit, Internship at Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI), Publication in the Law & Society Review
Category: Non-law Students
- 1st Prize: Certificate of Merit, Internship at Centre for Social Justice (CSJ), Publication in the Law & Society Review
- 2nd Prize: Certificate of Merit, Internship at Niti Manthan, Publication in the Law & Society Review
Disclaimer: The GNLU Centre for Law & Society reserves the right to modify the prizes at any point depending on the quality of entries.
Certificates of participation will be issued to all participants.
- The competition is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in any discipline in a recognized University/College/Institute in India.
- Only one submission per author shall be entertained.
- Co-authorship by a maximum of 2 students is permitted.
- Submission deadline: Sunday, November 8, 2020 (11:59 PM).
For any queries, you may leave an e-mail at gcls[at]gnlu.ac.in or contact:
Ms. Apoorva Patel: Director, Centre for Law and Society,
Contact: +91 9727377717; [email protected]
Ms. Keertana Venkatesh: Student Co-Convener, Centre for Law and Society,
Contact: +91 9743564868; [email protected]