About the Organisers
Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, is an institute for law in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dr. RMLNLU was established in the year 2005, and since then, has been providing undergraduate and post-graduate legal education.
The RMLNLU Society for Excellence in Arbitration Law (SEAL) was established in the year 2015. It is a student-run academic body set up with a view to having insightful discussions on various contemporary developments taking place in the field of Arbitration Law within and outside the country.
About the webinar
The Society for excellence in Arbitration law, RMLNLU is organizing a webinar on Reassertion of Control by Host States in Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS).
The ISDS regime which was initially designed to create a balance between the rights of the investors and the regulatory rights of the host states has now become a center of controversy. As a consequence, it is seen that states frequently bypass the regime.
This webinar intends to conduct an interactive session that would revolve around procedural and substantive methods by which states, do or may reassert their control over the interpretation and application of investment treaties. Further, it would also engage in analyzing India’s protectionist outlook.
- Date of the webinar: 22nd July 2020
- Timing of the session: 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm IST (+5:30 GMT)
About the speakers
The esteemed panel consists of the following speakers:
- Mr. Ben Giaretta: He is a counsel, arbitrator, and mediator, specializing in international dispute resolution. He has worked on disputes in many different countries, across Europe, the Americas, Africa, and the Asia-Pacific region. He is currently based in London as a partner at Mishcon de Reya LLP. He is on the panel of arbitrators of many arbitral institutions including the SCCA, the SIAC, the HKIAC, the AIAC, the JCAA, the BANI, and the KCAB, and has been sole arbitrator, party nominated arbitrator, presiding arbitrator, and emergency arbitrator, in many arbitrations.
- Mr. Harshad Pathak: He is a senior associate with P&A Law Offices. He is an Indian qualified lawyer with commercial arbitration, investment treaty arbitration, and civil litigation as his core practice areas. He is an alumnus of the Geneva LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement (MIDS) and the National Law University, Delhi.
- Mr. Nakul Dewan: He is a Senior Advocate & Barrister at Twenty Street Essex and practices from Singapore, Delhi, and London. He specializes in disputes and international law advice relating to banking and finance, construction and engineering, corporate (joint venture/shareholder/partnership disputes), international commercial law (including media and telecommunications), mining, energy, and natural resources. He has acted both as counsel, for international arbitration and international litigation, and as arbitrator. He has been appointed as arbitrator by the SIAC, ICC, and LCIA, and also ad hoc appointments.
The session will be moderated by Ms. Rashika Bajpai. She is a graduate from RMLNLU (Batch of 2020) and an incoming associate at Trilegal.
The chief patron for the session will be Prof. Subir K. Bhatnagar (Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor, RMLNLU, Lucknow), and Dr. Prasenjit Kundu (Assistant professor of Law, RMLNLU, Lucknow) will be presiding over as Programme Co-ordinator.
The webinar can be attended by anyone who is interested in the topic and e-certificates shall be provided to the registered participants on successfully attending the webinar and filling in the feedback form provided at the end of the session.
Interested candidates can register for the webinar through this page.
Email Id: [email protected]
- ‘Quiz for Fun’ and Grab Rewards’ at Juscholars and Enhelion Quiz Series: Register by July 26
- Short Term Online Course on Maritime Law and Practice by Parul University & GMU: Register by July 22
- Call for Contributions: NLUO’s Edited Book: Submit by July 31
- Online Programme on Law of Evidence for Civil and Criminal Trials by ILS, Pune: July 17- Aug 20
- IJAL’s 5th Gary B. Born Essay Competition on International Arbitration: No Fee, Submit by Sep 20
- Call for Papers: NLSIU’s Socio-Legal Review [Vol 17, Issue 1]: Submit by September 15
- Call for Articles for Jus Weekly: Register by July 25 (Entry Fee- Rs 100, No publication Fee)