The Centre for Maritime Law, in collaboration with Ganesh & Co. Mumbai, takes immense pleasure to announce its second edition of NLUO – Ganesh & Co. National Maritime Law Essay Writing Competition, 2021.
About The National Law University Odisha (NLUO)
The National Law University Odisha (NLUO) is a vibrant addition to India’s national law universities. Within the short span, NLUO has made its mark as a university engaged in teaching and research in law.The University has received recognition from the University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 12(b) of the UGC Act 1956, and has been receiving grants under the XIIth Plan. Its degrees offered are recognised by the Bar Council of India. It is also an associate member of the UGC-INFLIBNET, and a participant in the National Knowledge Network under the Ministry of Information Technology and Communication, Government of India.
About the Competition
Maritime Law is a fundamental branch that governs commerce and navigation on the sea. It regulates a broad ambit of claims related to customs and excise regulation; fishing industries; insurance claim; employment issues of crew members; pollution by vessels; salvage operation; and piracy, etc. Awareness in such an important field is much required among law students and the legal fraternity.
The Competition had its first edition back in 2019 with its collaboration with Ganesh & Co. Mumbai and saw huge success with the participation of law enthusiasts from all across the country.
Hence, with the view of further increasing interest and creating awareness in the field of maritime law, the Centre in collaboration with Ganesh & Co, Mumbai is organizing the 2ndNLUO – Ganesh & Co. National Essay Writing Competition on Maritime Law, 2021. Also, through this competition, the Centre seeks to encourage scholarly discussion among the students from the field of law.
NLUO welcomes submissions from all law students enrolled in 5 Year Integrated LLB, 3 Year LLB and LLM programme.
- Impact of COVID-19 on Maritime Law
- Artificial Intelligence in the Shipping Industry
- Technology and Maritime Law
- Maritime Piracy and Armed Robbery
- Effective port management in India
- Changes required in Maritime and shipping agreement
- Marine insurance and related issues Maritime security
- Maritime Industry and Environmental Law
- Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance in the Prosecution of Maritime crimes
- Seafarers and other maritime professionals’ rights and welfare
- Gender, diversity, and culture in the maritime industry
- Supply and demand of maritime labour
Kindly Note: The above-mentioned themes are merely illustrative, participants are free to choose any theme/topic which pertains to maritime and shipping law.
- The essay must be English language only and the submission shall be in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx format).
- Co-authorship to a maximum of two is permitted.
- Only one submission is allowed per author/team. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
- There should not be any form of identification mark such as the name of the author, University/College name etc. on the essay. Any form of identification will lead to disqualification.
- The essay should be 1500 – 2000 words, excluding abstract and footnotes.
- The essay must contain an abstract of not more than 200 words, including keywords
- The write-ups shall have no plagiarism and should be the original work of the participants.
- Main Body: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size – 12, Line Spacing – 1.5 and Alignment – Justified.
- Footnotes: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size – 10, Line Spacing – 1.0 and Alignment – Justified.
- Margins should be 1 inch or 2.54 cm on all sides
- The participants shall follow the Harvard Bluebook 20th Edition as the mode of Citation.
- There is no registration fee for this competition. Please maintain due diligence while filling the Google form. The credentials of participants will be checked for successful registration.
- The participants are required to register and submit the Essay through this Google form on or before 11:59 pm, May 23, 2021. Please note that the submission will also be done through the same Google Form provided.
- The deadline for submission is 11:59 pm, May 23, 2021 (Sunday). Any submission received beyond the deadline will be rejected.
- First Prize: Cash reward of 10,000 INR, one-month Internship with our Partner Ganesh & Co, Mumbai and publication on the official Centre for Maritime Law Blog.
- Second Prize: Cash reward 6,000 INR and publication on the official Centre for Maritime Law Blog.
- Third Prize: Cash reward 4,000 INR and publication on the official Centre for Maritime Law Blog.
In addition, the top 10 selected essays will be published on the official blog of Centre for Maritime Law (CML Blog) and the participants will be awarded a publication certificate.
Double-blind peer review shall be followed as the method of evaluation.
Last Date of Registration: May 23rd, 2021
Last date of Submission: May 23rd, 2021
E-mail ID: [email protected]
- Varuni Agarwal: 8209561157
- Shivangi Banerjee: 7619948112
- Armaan Arora: 7597846035