About this Course
The common law of England and Wales is one of the major global legal traditions.
This MOOC will give you an introduction to this influential legal system including its history, constitutional background, sources and institutions. You’ll learn about the different ways in which laws are made and interpreted, the English court system and the increasing importance of European Union and human rights law. Now is an especially exciting time to be learning about English common law, given the potential changes that lie ahead in today’s political, economic and social environment – all these pose challenges to and opportunities for the law. Each week we’ll focus on one aspect of English common law, using video lectures, readings, discussion questions and activities to enable you to learn about and evaluate key issues. Whether undertaken as a standalone course, or as preparation for the University of London’s world-class LLB degree, you will find this course interesting and stimulating.
Syllabus – What you will learn from this course
- Week One | Introduction to the English Legal System
- Week Two | Constitutional Principles of the English Legal System
- Week Three | The Court System
- Week Four | Statutes
- Week Five | Case Law
- Week Six | The European Union, European Convention on Human Rights and Human Rights Act 1998
- Shareable Certificate
- Earn a Certificate upon completion
- 100% online
- Start instantly and learn at your own schedule.
- Flexible deadlinesReset deadlines in accordance to your schedule.
- Beginner Level