About the University of Lausanne
The University of Lausanne is a Swiss state university founded in 1537. It is focused on Medicine, Life Sciences, Geosciences, Environmental Sciences, Business, Humanities, Social Sciences and Sport Sciences. UNIL is a research-intensive university which encourages interdisciplinarity. It is also renowned for its innovative teaching methods.
About this Course
The aim of this course is to promote critical thinking with regard to forensic science. Today, in general, most people are dazzled by the technical possibilities offered by forensic science. They somewhat live in the illusion that forensic evidence is fool proof and brings factual findings with 100% certainty. This course – given by specialists in the field – goes beyond the conventional image that is promoted through TV series such as CSI. It alerts (without alarming) the public on the limits of the techniques in order to promote a sound administration of forensic science in the criminal justice system. It allows participants to understand the importance of probabilistic reasoning in forensic science, because uncertainty is a constitutive part of forensic science. The course is constructed as a series of causes célèbres that could or have led to miscarriages of justice. Some of these cases have been part of case reviews carried out at the School of Criminal Justice of the University of Lausanne.
- Week 1 – What is the “DNA” of a good forensic report?
- Week 2 – Elementary: source is not activity!
- Week 3 – DNA is not the magic bullet
- Week 4 – Trials by Numbers or Numbers on Trial
- Week 5- The wonderland of certainty
- Flexible deadlines- Reset deadlines in accordance to your schedule.
- Shareable Certificate- Earn a Certificate upon completion
- 100% online- Start instantly and learn at your own schedule.
- Approx. 13 hours to complete
Note: The online course is FREE and you can enrol anytime. However, to get a certified, there will be a nominal fee.
- Online Certificate Courses by Enhelion: Enrolments Open! [70% off on Online Courses]
- Online Certificate Courses by Enhelion: Enrolments Open!
- National Workshop on Drafting, Pleading and Conveyancing by Alliance School of Law [Oct 9]
- One Week National Workshop on Right to Information by RGNUL: Register by Sept 28
- Two-Day National Level Workshop on Consumer Dispute Resolution through Mediation by NLUO [Sept 27-28]